A little girl learning basic math.
- The definition of math is the overall group of sciences that study numbers, shapes and their relationships.
An example of math is arithmetic, the study of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- A mowing; what is gathered from mowing.
From Middle English math, from Old English mÇ£Ã¾ (“a mowing, that which is mown, cutting of grass"), from Proto-Germanic *mÄ“Ã¾Ä… (“a mowing"), from Proto-Indo-European *mÄ“- (“to mow"), equivalent to mow +"Ž -th. Cognate with German Mahd (“a mowing, reaping"). Related also to Old English mÇ£d (“mead, meadow, pasture"). See meadow.
(countable and uncountable, plural maths)
- (uncountable, North America) Short for mathematics.
- (uncountable, North America) Arithmetic calculations; (see do the math).
- If you do the math, you'll see that it's not such a bargain.
- $170 a month? That doesn't sound right. Let me check your math.
- (countable, North America) A math course.
- They needed to take two more maths
Contraction of mathematics.
- (Hinduism, Jainism) Short for matha.
Contraction of matha.