- Unknown means something that people are not aware of or familiar with.
A brand new taste that you have never tasted before is an example of something that you would describe as an unknown taste.
- The definition of an unknown is a person or thing that you are not familiar with, or a variable in a math problem for which you are trying to solve.
- An actor no one has ever heard of who is trying to get into the movie business is an example of an unknown.
- In the equation "x+2 = 4," x is an example of an unknown.
unknown definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
not known; specif.,
- not in the knowledge, understanding, or acquaintance of someone; unfamiliar (to)
- not discovered, identified, determined, explored, etc.
- an unknown person or thing
- an unknown mathematical quantity: also, a symbol for this
unknown definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not known; unfamiliar: a modern-day problem unknown in earlier times.
- a. Not identified or ascertained: received flowers from an unknown admirer.b. Not established or verified.
- Not well known or widely known: an unknown artist.
- a. A person or thing that is unknown: “the abyss of the unknown” (Helena Petrovna Blavatsky).b. A person who is not well known, as to the general public: cast an unknown in the starring role.
- Mathematics A quantity of unknown numerical value.