- The definition of incognito is having a hidden identity.
An example of incognito is how you’d describe a person wearing a disguise.
Origin: It from Classical Latin incognitus, unknown from in-, not plush cognitus: see cognition
- a person who is incognito
- the state of being incognito
- the disguise assumed
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adverb & adj.
- One whose identity is disguised or concealed.
- The condition of having a disguised or concealed identity.
Origin: Italian, from Latin incognitus, unknown : in-, not; see in-1 + cognitus, past participle of cognōscere, to learn, recognize; see cognition.