incognito[in′käg nē′tō′, in käg′ni tō′]
- The definition of incognito is having a hidden identity.
An example of incognito is how you’d describe a person wearing a disguise.
Origin of incognitoItalian ; from Classical Latin incognitus, unknown ; from in-, not + cognitus: see cognition
- a person who is incognito
- the state of being incognito
- the disguise assumed
Origin of incognitoItalian, from Latin incognitus, unknown : in-, not; see in–1 + cognitus, past participle of cognōscere, to learn, recognize; see cognition.
- without being known; in disguise; in an assumed character, or under an assumed title.
This term is said especially of great personages who sometimes adopt a disguise or an assumed character in order to avoid notice.
- Without revealing one's identity.
- One unknown or in disguise, or under an assumed character or name.
- The assumption of disguise or of a feigned character; the state of being in disguise or not recognized.