(comparative more anonymous, superlative most anonymous)
- (not comparable) Lacking a name; not named and determined, as an animal not assigned to any species.
- (not comparable) Without any name acknowledged of a person responsible, as that of author, contributor, or the like.
- an anonymous pamphlet; an anonymous subscription.
- (not comparable) Of unknown name; whose name is withheld
- an anonymous author; an anonymous benefactor.
- No customer personal data will be retained unless it is rendered anonymous.
- (comparable, figuratively) Lacking individuality.
- an anonymous office block in a soulless industrial estate
Borrowed into English around 1600 from Late Latin anonymus, from Ancient Greek ἀνώνυμος (anōnumos, “without name”), from ἀν- (an, “without”) + ὄνυμα (onuma), Aeolic dialectal form of ὄνομα (onoma, “name”).