- The definition of anonymous is of unknown name or origin.
An author who does not put his name on his books is an example of someone who is anonymous.
anonymous definition by Webster's New World
- with no name known or acknowledged
- given, written, etc. by a person whose name is withheld or unknown
- not easily distinguished from others or from one another because of a lack of individual features or character
Origin: Late Latin anonymus ; from Classical Greek anōnymos ; from an-, without plush onyma, name
- anonymously adverb
anonymous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having an unknown or unacknowledged name: an anonymous author.
- Having an unknown or withheld authorship or agency: an anonymous letter; an anonymous phone call.
- Having no distinctive character or recognition factor: “a very great, almost anonymous center of people who just want peace” (Alan Paton).
Origin: From Late Latin anōnymus, from Greek anōnumos, nameless : an-, without; see a-1 + onuma, name (influenced by earlier nōnumnos, nameless); see nō̆-men- in Indo-European roots.
- a·nonˈy·mous·ly adverb
- a·nonˈy·mous·ness noun
anonymous - Computer Definition
Computer crackers commonly attempt to exploit a computer system by sending messages in an anonymous fashion—protecting their identity from being disclosed. Anonymous accounts are used widely to access information and software-sharing systems on computers mainly using the FTP. The user accesses the systems by utilizing a user name of “anonymous” or “guest” without a password.
(2) (Anonymous) A loose, underground hacker community that attempts to bring down or damage Web sites of organizations and government agencies that are not socially responsible. Advocating freedom, fairness and justice, Anonymous became known to the public in a 2007 Los Angeles TV report and has since claimed responsibility for numerous break-ins. In 2010, it hacked PayPal, MasterCard and Visa for no longer accepting donations to WikiLeaks after the site disclosed U.S. military documents. See WikiLeaks. The Guy Fawkes Mask Anonymous adopted a mask created to honor Guy Fawkes as a symbol of rebellion in the 2005 movie "V for Vendetta." Fawkes was in charge of the gunpowder in a failed 1605 plot to blow up Parliament and restore a Catholic monarchy to England. About to be hanged to near death and then disemboweled, Fawkes jumped from the gallows and did himself in. In 1606, Parliament turned the foiled Gunpowder Plot into a national holiday.