- The definition of familiar is something or someone who is friendly to you or known to you because of past history or experience.
- An example of familiar is a description for an old friend.
- An example of familiar is a description for your home and the path you take to get there.
- Archaic having to do with a family
- friendly, informal, or intimate: to be on familiar terms
- too friendly; unduly intimate or bold; presumptuous
- having an intimate knowledge of; closely acquainted (with): familiar with the Bible
- well-known; common; ordinary: a familiar sight
- domesticated: said of animals
Origin of familiarMiddle English familier ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin familiaris, of a household, domestic ; from familia, family
- a close friend or associate
- Rare habitué
- Archaic an ecclesiastical servant or agent
- Folklore an evil spirit constantly attending someone and typically dwelling within an animal; also, the animal within which such a spirit dwells
- Often encountered or seen: a familiar landmark. See Synonyms at common.
- Having fair knowledge; acquainted: Are you familiar with these roads?
- Of established friendship; intimate: We are on familiar terms.
- Natural and unstudied; informal: lectured in a familiar style.
- Taking undue liberties; presumptuous: Students should not be familiar toward an instructor.
- Domesticated; tame. Used of animals.
- A close friend or associate.
- An attendant spirit, often taking animal form.
- One who performs domestic service in the household of a high official.
- A person who frequents a place.
Origin of familiarMiddle English, from Old French familier, from Latin familiāris, domestic, from familia, family; see family.
(comparative more familiar, superlative most familiar)
- Known to one.
- there’s a familiar face; that tune sounds familiar
- I'm quite familiar with this system; she's not familiar with manual gears
- Intimate or friendly.
- we are not on familiar terms; our neighbour is not familiar
- Inappropriately intimate or friendly.
- Don’t be familiar with me, boy!
- Of or pertaining to a family; familial.