- An example of familiar is a description for an old friend.
- An example of familiar is a description for your home and the path you take to get there.
The definition of familiar is something or someone who is friendly to you or known to you because of past history or experience.
- Archaic having to do with a family
- friendly, informal, or intimate: to be on familiar terms
- too friendly; unduly intimate or bold; presumptuous
- having an intimate knowledge of; closely acquainted (with): familiar with the Bible
- well-known; common; ordinary: a familiar sight
- domesticated: said of animals
Origin of familiarMiddle English familier from Old French from Classical Latin familiaris, of a household, domestic from familia, family
- a close friend or associate
- Rare habitué
- Archaic an ecclesiastical servant or agent
- Folklore a spirit or demon constantly attending someone and typically dwelling within, or taking the form of, an animal; also, the animal within which such a spirit or demon dwells
- Often encountered or seen: a familiar landmark. See Synonyms at common.
- Having fair knowledge; acquainted: Are you familiar with these roads?
- Of established friendship; intimate: We are on familiar terms.
- Natural and unstudied; informal: lectured in a familiar style.
- Taking undue liberties; presumptuous: Students should not be familiar toward an instructor.
- Domesticated; tame. Used of animals.
- A close friend or associate.
- An attendant spirit, often taking animal form.
- One who performs domestic service in the household of a high official.
- A person who frequents a place.
Origin of familiarMiddle English from Old French familier from Latin familiāris domestic from familia family ; see family .
(comparative more familiar, superlative most familiar)
- Known to one.
- there’s a familiar face; that tune sounds familiar
- I'm quite familiar with this system; she's not familiar with manual gears
- Intimate or friendly.
- we are not on familiar terms; our neighbour is not familiar
- Inappropriately intimate or friendly.
- Don’t be familiar with me, boy!
- Of or pertaining to a family; familial.