- The definition of chum is cut up pieces of fish scattered into the water when fishing for larger fish.
An example of chum is ground sardines tossed into the water when fishing for bass.
- Chum is defined as a good friend.
An example of a chum is a friend you enjoy going out to lunch with.
- To chum means to go around with a good friend, or to throw cut up fish into the water to attract other fish.
- A example of chum is for two close friends to spend the day together, they chum around together.
- An example of chum is to throw oily fish into the ocean to attract fish you want to catch.
A woman sharing a secret with her chum.
chum definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic a roommate
- a close friend
Origin: late 17th-c. slang; probably altered spelling, spelled of cham, clipped form of chamber (fellow), chamber (mate)
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Scottish chum, food
chum definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. To be an intimate friend.b. To display good-natured friendliness: chummed around with the other teammates.
- To share the same room, as in a dormitory.
Origin: Perhaps short for chamber fellow, roommate.
Origin: Origin unknown.