- The definition of a buddy is a close friend or a pal.
- An example of a buddy is your faithful dog.
- An example of your buddy is your friend with whom you go and get a beer.
Two buddies gardening together.
- a close friend; companion; comrade; esp., a comrade in arms
- either of two persons paired off in a partnership arrangement () for mutual help and protection, as in combat or in children's camp activities
Origin of buddy; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- A good friend; a comrade.
- A partner, especially one of a pair or team associated under the buddy system.
- Friend or comrade; chum. Used as a form of familiar address, especially for a man or boy: Watch it, buddy.
intransitive verbbud·died, bud·dy·ing, bud·dies
Origin of buddyProbably alteration of brother.
(third-person singular simple present buddies, present participle buddying, simple past and past participle buddied)
- To assign a buddy, or partner.
- A male nickname.
- (rare, chiefly US) A male given name.