- The definition of a buddy is a close friend or a pal.
- An example of a buddy is your faithful dog.
- An example of your buddy is your friend with whom you go and get a beer.
Two buddies gardening together.
buddy definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. buddies
- a close friend; companion; comrade; esp., a comrade in arms
- either of two persons paired off in a partnership arrangement () for mutual help and protection, as in combat or in children's camp activities
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
buddy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Informalnoun pl. bud·dies
- A good friend; a comrade.
- A partner, especially one of a pair or team associated under the buddy system.
- Friend or comrade; chum. Used as a form of familiar address, especially for a man or boy: Watch it, buddy.
To associate as a buddy or buddies: buddied around with the older guys.Phrasal Verb: buddy up To ingratiate oneself, as by presuming friendship: buddied up to the coach in hopes of making the team.
Origin: Probably alteration of brother.