- The definition of a partner is a person who takes part in an activity or business with others or one of two people who are in a relationship.
- An example of a partner is someone who owns a business with another.
- An example of a partner is a husband or a wife.
- An example of a partner is a girlfriend who lives with her boyfriend.
partner definition by Webster's New World
- a person who takes part in some activity in common with another or others; associate; specif.,
- one of two or more persons engaged in the same business enterprise and sharing its profits and risks: each is an agent for the other or others and is liable, except when limited to his or her own investment, for the debts of the firm
- a husband or wife
- either of two persons dancing together
- either of two players on the same side or team playing or competing against two others, as in bridge or tennis
- either of two persons not married to each other but otherwise in an intimate, spouse-like relationship
- Naut. a framework, as of timbers, for supporting a mast, capstan, etc. where it passes through the deck
Origin: Middle English partener, altered (by associated, association with part, part) ; from parcener: see parcener
- to join (others) together as partners
- to be or provide a partner for
partner definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:a. A member of a business partnership.b. A spouse.c. A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.d. Either of two persons dancing together.e. One of a pair or team in a sport or game, such as tennis or bridge.
- Nautical A wooden framework used to strengthen a ship's deck at the point where a mast or other structure passes through it. Often used in the plural.
- To make a partner of.
- To bring together as partners.
- To be the partner of.
Origin: Middle English partener, alteration (influenced by part, part) of parcener, parcener; see parcener.