- The definition of a partner is a person who takes part in an activity or business with others or one of two people who are in a relationship.
- An example of a partner is someone who owns a business with another.
- An example of a partner is a husband or a wife.
- An example of a partner is a girlfriend who lives with her boyfriend.
Two business partners.
- a person who takes part in some activity in common with another or others; associate; specif.,
- one of two or more persons engaged in the same business enterprise and sharing its profits and risks: each is an agent for the other or others and is liable, except when limited to his or her own investment, for the debts of the firm
- a husband or wife
- either of two persons dancing together
- either of two players on the same side or team playing or competing against two others, as in bridge or tennis
- either of two persons not married to each other but otherwise in an intimate, spouse-like relationship
- Naut. a framework, as of timbers, for supporting a mast, capstan, etc. where it passes through the deck
Origin of partnerMiddle English partener, altered (by associated, association with part, part) ; from parcener: see parcener
- to join (others) together as partners
- to be or provide a partner for
- One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:a. A member of a business partnership.b. A spouse.c. A domestic partner.d. A lover.e. Either of two persons dancing together.f. One of a pair or team in a sport or game, such as tennis or bridge.
- often partners Nautical A wooden framework used to strengthen a ship's deck at the point where a mast or other structure passes through it.
verbpart·nered, part·ner·ing, part·ners
Origin of partnerMiddle English partener, alteration (influenced by part, part) of parcener, parcener; see parcener.
- Someone who is associated with another in a common activity or interest.
- (nautical) One of the pieces of wood comprising the framework which strengthens the deck of a wooden ship around the holes through which the mast and other fittings pass.
- (Jamaica) A group financial arrangement in which each member contributes a set amount of money over a set period.
(third-person singular simple present partners, present participle partnering, simple past and past participle partnered)
- to make or be a partner
- to work or perform as a partner
Late 13c., from Old French parÃ§onneour (â€œjoint heirâ€) from parÃ§on (â€œpartitionâ€), from Latin partitionem (â€œportionâ€). The word may also represent Old French part tenour (â€œpart holderâ€).