- The definition of a significant other is a person with whom you are in a romantic relationship.
An example of significant other is your live-in boyfriend of ten years.
- a person having importance in, or influence on, another's life
- a person with whom one has an intimate, often long-term and usually sexual, relationship
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A person, such as a spouse or lover, with whom one shares a long-term sexual relationship.
- A person, such as a family member or close friend, who is important or influential in one's life: “The most important variable in successful smoking cessation is the support of significant others in the new nonsmoker's life” (Carolyn Reuben).
significant other - Cultural Definition
A person whose close relationship with an individual affects that individual's behavior and attitudes. A significant other is usually a family member, spouse, child, employer, coworker, friend, or lover, who serves as a role model or whose acceptance and approval is sought.