- The definition of unfamiliar is strange, or something not already known.
- An example of unfamiliar is the neighborhood of a new town.
- An example of unfamiliar is the family of a new girlfriend.
unfamiliar definition by Webster's New World
- not familiar or well-known; strange
- having no acquaintance (with); not conversant: unfamiliar with the novels of Kafka
unfamiliar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not being acquainted; not conversant: unfamiliar with the roads here.
- Not within one's knowledge; strange: unfamiliar faces.
- unˌfa·mil·iarˈi·ty noun
- unˌfa·milˈiar·ly adverb