- not familiar or well-known; strange
- having no acquaintance (with); not conversant: unfamiliar with the novels of Kafka
- An example of unfamiliar is the neighborhood of a new town.
- An example of unfamiliar is the family of a new girlfriend.
The definition of unfamiliar is strange, or something not already known.
- Not being acquainted; not conversant: unfamiliar with the roads here.
- Not within one's knowledge; strange: unfamiliar faces.
- An unfamiliar person; a stranger.
- She stopped, unfamiliar with the sight of death.
- He scowled at the other girls, and his voice had an unfamiliar edge.
- At the unfamiliar voice, she faced the two men standing outside her kitchen.
- Nearing the old house, she spotted an unfamiliar truck parked beside the road.
- These insects are adorned with bands of black and yellow, or with bright metallic colours, and on account of their large size and formidable ovipositors they often cause needless alarm to persons unfamiliar with their habits.