- not familiar or well-known; strange
- having no acquaintance (with); not conversant: unfamiliar with the novels of Kafka
- An example of unfamiliar is the neighborhood of a new town.
- An example of unfamiliar is the family of a new girlfriend.
The definition of unfamiliar is strange, or something not already known.
- Not being acquainted; not conversant: unfamiliar with the roads here.
- Not within one's knowledge; strange: unfamiliar faces.
- An unfamiliar person; a stranger.
- She stopped, unfamiliar with the sight of death.
- He scowled at the other girls, and his voice had an unfamiliar edge.
- Nearing the old house, she spotted an unfamiliar truck parked beside the road.
- The fuzzy, unfamiliar world around her burst into clarity.
- At the unfamiliar voice, she faced the two men standing outside her kitchen.