- The definition of bosom is cherished or intimate.
An example of bosom used as an adjective is in the phrase "bosom friends," which means friends who are extremely close to one another.
- Bosom means a human's chest.
An example of a bosom is a woman's breasts.
A woman's bosom.
bosom definition by Webster's New World
- the human breast; specif., a woman's breasts
- a thing thought of as like this: the bosom of the sea
- the breast regarded as the source of feelings or the seat of inmost thoughts
- the enclosing space formed by the breast and arms in embracing
- the inside; midst: in the bosom of one's family
- the part of a dress, shirt, etc. that covers the breast
- the space inside this part
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English bosm; probably ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhou-, an unverified form bhū-, to grow, swell
- to embrace; cherish
- to conceal in the bosom; hide
bosom definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The chest of a human: He held the sleepy child to his bosom.b. A woman's breast or breasts.
- The part of a garment covering the chest or breasts.
- The security and closeness likened to being held in a warm familial embrace: We welcomed the stranger into the bosom of our family.
- The chest considered as the source of emotion.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English bōsm.
bosom - Medical Definition
- The chest of a human.
- A woman's breast or breasts.