- The breast is defined as one of two mammary glands on the chest of a woman, or the front part of the human body from the neck to the abdomen.
An example of breast is the milk-secreting gland on a new mother.
- The definition of breast means to meet, oppose or overcome.
An example of breast is to bounce back after facing many negative comments.
A woman gives herself a breast exam.
breast definition by Webster's New World
- either of two milk-secreting glands protruding from the upper, front part of a woman's body
- a corresponding gland in a female primate
- a corresponding undeveloped gland in the male
- figuratively, a source of nourishment
- the front part of a person's chest
- the corresponding part of some animals, as a bird or lamb
- the part of a garment, etc. that is over the breast
- the breast regarded as the center of emotions
- anything likened to the breast: the breast of the sea
- Mining the face that is being worked at the end of an excavation or tunnel
Origin: Middle English brest ; from Old English breost ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhreus-, to swell, sprout
- to oppose the breast to; face
- to face or meet firmly; move forward against
breast definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Either of two milk-secreting, glandular organs on the chest of a woman; the human mammary gland.b. A corresponding organ in other mammals.c. A corresponding rudimentary gland in the male.
- a. The superior ventral surface of the human body, extending from the neck to the abdomen.b. A corresponding part in other animals.
- The part of a garment that covers the chest.
- The seat of affection and emotion: “Griefs of mine own lie heavy in my breast” (Shakespeare).
- A source of nourishment.
- Something likened to the human breast: the breast of a hill.
- The face of a mine or tunnel.
- To rise over; climb: “He breasted a rise and looked down. He was at the head of a small valley” (Ken Follett).
- To encounter or advance against resolutely; confront boldly.
- To push against with or as if with the breast.
Origin: Middle English brest, from Old English brēost.
breast - Medical Definition
- Either of two milk-secreting, glandular organs on the chest of a woman; mammary gland; mamma.
- A corresponding rudimentary gland in the male.
- The superior ventral surface of the human body, extending from the neck to the abdomen.
breast - Phrases/Idioms
beat one's breast
make a clean breast of