- The summit is the peak or highest point.
- An example of a summit is the top of the mountain.
- An example of the summit is the highest point in a person's career.
- the highest point, part, or elevation; top or apex
- the highest degree or state; acme
- the highest level of officials; specif., in connection with diplomatic negotiations, the level restricted to heads of government: a meeting at the summit
- a conference at the summit
Origin of summitMiddle English sommete ; from Old French diminutive of som, summit ; from Classical Latin summum, highest part ; from summus, highest: see sum
- The highest point or part; the top.
- The highest level or degree that can be attained.
- a. The highest level, as of government officials.b. A conference or meeting of high-level leaders, usually called to shape a program of action.
verbsum·mit·ed, sum·mit·ing, sum·mits
Origin of summitMiddle English somet, from Old French sommette, diminutive of som, top, from Latin summum, from neuter of summus, highest; see uper in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present summits, present participle summiting, simple past and past participle summited)
- (hiking, climbing, colloquial) To reach the summit of a mountain.