The definition of apex is the highest part of something.
The peak of a mountain is an example of its apex.
nounpl. a′pex·es or ap′i·ces·
- the highest point; peak; vertex
- the pointed end; tip
- the highest point of interest, excitement, etc.; climax
- Mining the edge or outcrop of a vein nearest the surface
Origin of apexL, a point; probably from apere, to fasten: see apt
nounpl. a·pex·es, or a·pi·ces
- a. The highest point of a structure, object, or geometric figure: the apex of a hill; the apex of a triangle.b. The usually pointed end of an object; the tip: the apex of a leaf.
- a. The highest level or degree that is attained, as in a hierarchy. See Synonyms at summit.b. The period of greatest achievement: won several Olympic medals at the apex of her career.
Origin of apexLatin
- (UK, trade union) Association of Professional, Executive, Clerical and Computer Staff.