- The definition of apex is the highest part of something.
The peak of a mountain is an example of its apex.
nounpl. a·pex·es or a·pi·ces
- The highest point; the vertex: the apex of a triangle; the apex of a hill.
- The highest level or degree that is attained. See Synonyms at summit.
- The usually pointed end of an object; the tip: the apex of a leaf.
Origin of apexLatin.
(plural apices or apexes)
- The highest point of something.
- the apex of the building
- (figuratively) The moment of greatest success, expansion, etc.
- the apex of civilization
- (geometry) The topmost vertex of a cone or pyramid (in their conventional orientation).
- (chiefly anatomy) The pointed end of something.
- (botany) The end of a leaf, petal or similar organ opposed to the end where it is attached to its support; the tip.
- (astronomy) The point on the celestial sphere toward which the sun appears to move relative to nearby stars.
- (physics) The lowest point on a pendant drop of a liquid.
- (mining, US) The end or edge of a vein nearest the surface.
From Latin apex (“point, tip, summit”).