- The definition of a cusp is a point, peak or tip.
An example of a cusp is the top of a hill.
cusp definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a point or pointed end; apex; peak
- any of the elevations on the chewing surface of a tooth
- any of the triangular flaps of a heart valve
- Archit. a projecting point where two arcs meet, as in the internal curve of an arc
- Astrol. the transitional part of a sign or house
- Astron. either horn of a crescent, as of the moon
- Geom. the tip of a pointed curve
Origin: Classical Latin cuspis (gen. cuspidis), point, pointed end, spear
cusp definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A point or pointed end.
- Anatomy a. A pointed or rounded projection on the chewing surface of a tooth.b. A triangular fold or flap of a heart valve.
- Mathematics A point at which a curve crosses itself and at which the two tangents to the curve coincide.
- Architecture The point of intersection of two ornamental arcs or curves, such as the inner points of a trefoil.
- Astronomy Either point of a crescent moon.
- A transitional point or time, as between two astrological signs.
Origin: Latin cuspis, point.
cusp - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A pointed or rounded projection on the chewing surface of a tooth.
- A triangular fold or flap of a heart valve.
cusp - Phrases/Idioms
on the cusp
- Astrol. at or during a cusp (sense )
- at or during a time of transition, as the moment of or just before a major change or event