- The definition of a horn is a structure coming out of an animal's head, or a beeping device on a vehicle.
- An example of a horn is what grows out of a ram's head.
- An example of a horn is what is on a steering wheel to alert other drivers to danger.
Curled horns on a sheep.
horn definition by Webster's New World
- a hard, hollow, bony or keratinous, permanent projection that grows on the head of various hoofed animals, esp. bovid ruminants
- an antler
- anything that protrudes naturally from the head of an animal, as one of the tentacles of a snail, a tuft of feathers on certain birds, etc.
- the projections imagined as growing on the brow of a cuckold
- the substance that horns are made of
- any similar, now often synthetic, substance
- a container made by hollowing out a horn: a powder horn
- a drink contained in a horn
- anything shaped like or suggesting a horn; specif.,
- a peninsula or cape
- either end of a crescent
- the pointed part of an anvil
- ☆ a projection above the pommel of a cowboy's saddle
- an instrument made of horn and sounded by blowing, as the shofar
- any brass instrument; specif., French horn
- ☆ Jazz any wind instrument
- a device with a kind of blaring sound for signaling or warning
- Bible an emblem of glory, strength, or honor
- a horn-shaped speaker
- a horn-shaped antenna
- Geol. a jagged mountain peak resulting from the erosion of several cirques, as the Matterhorn in the Alps
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English akin to German ; from Indo-European base an unverified form er-, upper part of the body, head from source Classical Latin cornu, Classical Greek keras
- to strike, butt, or gore with the horns
- to furnish with horns
- Archaic to cuckold
horn definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One of the hard, usually permanent structures projecting from the head of certain mammals, such as cattle, sheep, goats, or antelopes, consisting of a bony core covered with a sheath of keratinous material.
- A hard protuberance, such as an antler or projection on the head of a giraffe or rhinoceros, that is similar to or suggestive of a horn.
- a. The hard smooth keratinous material forming the outer covering of the horns of cattle or related animals.b. A natural or synthetic substance resembling this material.
- A container, such as a powder horn, made from a horn.
- Something having the shape of a horn, especially:a. A horn of plenty; a cornucopia.b. Either of the ends of a new moon.c. The point of an anvil.d. The pommel of a saddle.e. An ear trumpet.f. A device for projecting sound waves, as in a loudspeaker.g. A hollow, metallic electromagnetic transmission antenna with a circular or rectangular cross section.
- Music a. A wind instrument made of an animal horn.b. A brass wind instrument, such as a trombone or tuba.c. A French horn.d. A wind instrument, such as a trumpet or saxophone, used in a jazz band.
- a. A usually electrical signaling device that produces a loud resonant sound: an automobile horn.b. Any of various noisemakers operated by blowing or by squeezing a hollow rubber ball.
- Slang A telephone.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English; see ker-1 in Indo-European roots.
- horn adjective
- hornˈist noun
top: white rhinoceros
bottom: American bighorn ram
horn - Medical Definition
- One of the hard, usually permanent structures projecting from the head of certain mammals, such as cattle, consisting of a bony core covered with a sheath of keratinous material.
- A hard protuberance that is similar to or suggestive of a horn.
- The hard, smooth keratinous material forming the outer covering of animal horns.
- Any of the major subdivisions of the lateral ventricle in the cerebral hemisphere of the brain: the frontal horn, occipital horn, and temporal horn. Also called cornu.
horn - Phrases/Idioms
around the hornâ
blow one's own hornâ
horn in (on)â
on the horns of a dilemma
pull in one's hornsor draw in one's horns or haul in one's horns
- to hold oneself back; restrain one's impulses or efforts
- to back down; become less dogmatic, positive, zealous, etc.
- /haul/pull in (one's) horns Informal
- To restrain oneself; draw back.
- To retreat from a previously taken position, view, or stance.
- To economize.
on the horns of a dilemma
horn - Science Definition
- Either of the bony growths projecting from the upper part of the head of certain hoofed mammals, such as cattle, sheep, and goats. The horns of these animals are never shed, and they consist of bone covered by keratin.
- A hard growth that looks like a horn, such as an antler or a growth on the head of a giraffe or rhinoceros. Unlike true horns, antlers are shed yearly and have a velvety covering, and the horns of a rhinoceros are made not of bone but of hairy skin fused with keratin.
- The hard durable substance that forms the outer covering of true horns. It consists of keratin.