- The definition of superlative is expressing the very highest degree, or the very best example of something.
- An example of superlative is having the highest level of talent.
- An example of superlative is "smartest," referring to the person who is the most intelligent.
- Superlative is a grammar term used for an adjective or adverb that expresses the greatest degree.
An example of a superlative is the "greatest" or "smartest," both of which express the highest degree.
- superior to or excelling all other or others; of the highest kind, quality, degree, etc.; supreme
- excessive or exaggerated
- Gram. designating or of the extreme degree of comparison of adjectives and adverbs; expressing the greatest degree of the quality or attribute expressed by the positive degree: usually indicated by the suffix -est(hardest) or by the use of most with the positive form (most beautiful)
Origin: Middle English from Middle French superlatif from Late Latin superlativus from Classical Latin superlatus, excessive from super-, above, beyond plush latus, past participle of ferre, to bear
- the highest or utmost degree; acme; height; peak
- something superlative
- the superlative degree
- a word or form in this degree
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of the highest order, quality, or degree; surpassing or superior to all others.
- Excessive or exaggerated.
- Grammar Of, relating to, or being the extreme degree of comparison of an adjective or adverb, as in best or brightest.
- Something of the highest possible excellence.
- The highest degree; the acme.
- Grammar a. The superlative degree.b. An adjective or adverb expressing the superlative degree, as in brightest, the superlative of the adjective bright, or most brightly, the superlative of the adverb brightly.
Origin: Middle English superlatif, from Old French, from Late Latin superlātīvus, from Latin superlātus, past participle of superferre, to carry over a person or thing, exaggerate : super-, super- + lātus, past participle of ferre, to carry; see telə- in Indo-European roots.
- su·perˈla·tive·ly adverb