- Consummate is defined as a complete or fulfilled, or very skillful.
- An example of consummate is the happiness of a child on Christmas morning; consummate happiness.
- An example of consummate is the magic performed by David Copperfield; a consummate magic expert.
- The definition of consummate is defined as accomplish or complete.
An example of consummate is a newly-wedded couple having sex on their wedding night; consummate their marriage.
- complete or perfect in every way; supreme: consummate happiness
- very skillful; highly expert: a consummate liar
Origin of consummateClassical Latin consummatus, past participle of consummare, to sum up, finish ; from com-, together + summa, sum
- to bring to completion or fulfillment; finish; accomplish
- to make (a marriage) actual by sexual intercourse
Origin of consummateME consummaten
transitive verbcon·sum·mat·ed, con·sum·mat·ing, con·sum·mates
- a. To bring to completion or fruition; conclude: consummate a business transaction.b. To realize or achieve; fulfill: a dream that was finally consummated with the publication of her first book.
- a. To complete (a marriage) with the first act of sexual intercourse after the ceremony.b. To fulfill (a sexual desire or attraction) especially by intercourse.
- Complete or perfect in every respect: consummate happiness. See Synonyms at perfect.
- Supremely accomplished or skilled: “Sargent was now a consummate master of brushwork” (Roberta Smith).
- Complete; utter: a consummate bore.
Origin of consummateMiddle English consummaten, from Latin c&omacron;nsummare, c&omacron;nsummat- : com-, com- + summa, sum; see sum.
- con′sum·ma′tive, con·sum′ma·to′ry
(comparative more consummate, superlative most consummate)
(third-person singular simple present consummates, present participle consummating, simple past and past participle consummated)
- To bring (a task, project, goal etc.) to completion; to accomplish.
- To make perfect, achieve, give the finishing touch
- To make (a marriage) complete by engaging in first sexual intercourse.
- After the reception, he escorted her to the honeymoon suite to consummate their marriage.
- (intransitive) To become perfected, receive the finishing touch