- The definition of ripe is something fully grown or ready to be eaten, used or implemented.
- An example of ripe is a soft avocado.
- An example of ripe is a cheese that has obtained its final flavor and texture.
- An example of ripe is being fully prepared for something such as to be ripe for a vacation.
ripe definition by Webster's New World
- fully grown or developed; specif., ready to be harvested and used for food, as grain or fruit
- like ripe fruit, as in being ruddy and full: ripe lips
- sufficiently advanced, as by being kept in storage or subjected to treatment, to be ready for use: ripe wine, ripe cheese
- fully or highly developed by study, experience, etc.; mature as in judgment, knowledge, etc.: ripe wisdom
- characterized by full physical or mental development: a person of ripe years
- advanced in years: the ripe age of ninety
- ready to do, receive, or undergo something; fully prepared: ripe for marriage
- ready for some operation, treatment, or process: a boil ripe for lancing
- sufficiently advanced; far enough along (for some purpose): said of time
- having a strong, unpleasant smell
Origin: Old English akin to reap
ripe definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective rip·er, rip·est
- Fully developed; mature: ripe peaches.
- Resembling matured fruit, as in fullness.
- Sufficiently advanced in preparation or aging to be used or eaten: ripe cheese.
- Thoroughly matured, as by study or experience; seasoned: ripe judgment.
- Advanced in years: the ripe age of 90.
- Fully prepared to do or undergo something; ready: “By 1965 the republic was ripe for a coup” (Alex Shoumatoff).
- Sufficiently advanced; opportune: The time is ripe for great societal changes.
- Exhibiting overtones of or references to sex; scatological: “The language on the stage was riper than anything I have heard in a lifetime of newspaper work” (John Hughes).
- Emitting a foul odor, especially body odor.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English rīpe.
- ripeˈly adverb
- ripeˈness noun
ripe - Computer Definition
Stands for RÃ©seaux IP EuropÃ©ens and is one of the five regional bodies that administer the IP Address space. RIPE is set up as a collaboration between the European operators of IP networks.