Sunse on the Mississippi River.
An example of a river is the Mississippi River.
- a natural stream of water larger than a creek and emptying into an ocean, a lake, or another river
- any similar or plentiful stream or flow: a river of lava
Origin of riverMiddle English rivere ; from Old French riviere ; from Vulgar Latin riparia ; from Classical Latin riparius: see riparian
sell down the river⌂
Origin of riverfrom the former practice of selling and sending slaves to plantations on the lower Mississippi River, where conditions were esp. harsh
up the river⌂
Origin of riverfrom the practice of sending convicts up the Hudson, from New York City to Sing SingSlang
- Abbr. R. A large natural stream of water emptying into an ocean, lake, or other body of water and usually fed along its course by converging tributaries.
- A stream or abundant flow: a river of tears.
- The fifth and last of the community cards in Texas hold'em.
transitive verbriv·ered, riv·er·ing, riv·ers
Origin of riverMiddle English rivere, from Anglo-Norman, from Vulgar Latin *r&imacron;p&amacron;ria, from Latin, feminine of r&imacron;p&amacron;rius, of a bank, from r&imacron;pa, bank.
- A large and often winding stream which drains a land mass, carrying water down from higher areas to a lower point, ending at an ocean or in an inland sea.
- Occasionally rivers overflow their banks and cause floods.
- Any large flow of a liquid in a single body.
- a river of blood
- (poker) The last card dealt in a hand.
(third-person singular simple present rivers, present participle rivering, simple past and past participle rivered)
- (poker) To improve one's hand to beat another player on the final card in a poker game.
- Johnny rivered me by drawing that ace of spades.
From Anglo-Norman rivere, from Old French riviere, from Vulgar Latin *riparia (“riverbank, seashore, river"), from Latin riparius (“of a riverbank"), from riparia (“shore"), from ripa (“river bank"), from Proto-Indo-European *rei- (“to scratch, tear, cut").
rive +"Ž -er
- A male given name.
- A female given name.
- (rare) A surname.