- Tributary means paying tribute or contributory.
An example of tributary used as an adjective is the phrase tributary gifts which are gifts which are given to pay tribute to someone.
- The definition of a tributary is a steam that flows into a larger body of water.
An example of a tributary is a stream that empties into an ocean.
tributary definition by Webster's New World
- paying tribute
- under another's control; subject: a tributary nation
- in the nature of tribute; owed or paid as tribute
- making additions or furnishing supplies; contributory
- flowing into a larger one: a tributary stream
Origin: Middle English tributarie ; from Classical Latin tributarius
- a tributary nation or ruler
- a tributary stream or river
- tributarily adverb
tributary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Making additions or yielding supplies; contributory.
- Paid in tribute.
- Paying tribute: a tributary colony.
- A stream that flows into a larger stream or other body of water.
- A ruler or nation that pays tribute.
Origin: Middle English tributarie, paying tribute, from Latin tribūtārius, from tribūtum, tribute; see tribute.
tributary - Science Definition