- Tributary means paying tribute or contributory.
An example of tributary used as an adjective is the phrase tributary gifts which are gifts which are given to pay tribute to someone.
- The definition of a tributary is a steam that flows into a larger body of water.
An example of a tributary is a stream that empties into an ocean.
- paying tribute
- owed or paid as tribute
- under another's control; subject: a tributary nation
- flowing into a larger one: a tributary stream
Origin of tributaryMiddle English tributarie ; from Classical Latin tributarius
- a tributary nation or ruler
- a tributary stream or river
- A stream that flows into a larger stream or other body of water.
- A ruler or nation that pays tribute.
- Making additions or yielding supplies; contributory.
- Paid in tribute.
- Paying tribute: a tributary colony.
Origin of tributaryMiddle English tributarie, paying tribute, from Latin trib&umacron;tarius, from trib&umacron;tum, tribute; see tribute.
From Middle English tributarie (“paying tribute"), from Latin tributarius, from tributum (“tribute").