- Auxiliary is defined as something or someone used in a supporting role or used in reserve.
An example of an auxiliary generator is one that gives power to a building when the main generators stop working.
auxiliary definition by Webster's New World
- giving help or aid; assisting or supporting
- acting in a subsidiary, or subordinate, capacity
- additional; supplementary; reserve
- having an engine that can be used for supplementary power, as a sailing vessel
- designating or of any of the noncombat ships, as tankers or tenders, that form the service fleet of a navy
Origin: Classical Latin auxiliaris, helpful ; from auxilium, aid ; from past participle of augere, to increase: see wax
- an auxiliary person or thing
- foreign or allied armed forces aiding those of a country at war
- an assisting or supplementary group or organization: this club has a women's auxiliary
- an auxiliary vessel or ship
- Gram. auxiliary verb
auxiliary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Giving assistance or support; helping.
- Acting as a subsidiary; supplementary: the main library and its auxiliary branches.
- Held in or used as a reserve: auxiliary troops; an auxiliary power generator.
- Nautical Equipped with a motor as well as sails.
- Grammar Of, relating to, or being an auxiliary verb.
- An individual or group that assists or functions in a supporting capacity: a volunteers' auxiliary at a hospital.
- A member of a foreign body of troops serving a country in war.
- Grammar An auxiliary verb.
- Nautical a. A sailing vessel equipped with a motor.b. A vessel, such as a supply ship or a tug, that is designed for and used in instances and services other than combat.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin auxiliārius, from auxilium, help; see aug- in Indo-European roots.
auxiliary - Medical Definition
- Functioning in an augmenting capacity; supplementary.
- Functioning as a subordinate; secondary.