- The definition of subsidiary is something that gives support, something that is secondary in importance or an organizational group that is in a lower organizational position.
- An example of subsidiary used as an adjective is subsidiary income which means extra income.
- An example of subsidiary used as an adjective is a subsidiary employee, a junior level person.
- An example of a subsidiary is a company that is controlled by another company.
- Subsidiary is defined as something that is secondary or extra.
An example of subsidiary is an extra worksheet for a lesson that focuses on a smaller subject which was covered in the lesson plan for the day.
subsidiary definition by Webster's New World
- giving aid, support, service, etc.; serving to supplement; auxiliary
- being in a secondary or subordinate relationship
- of, constituting, or maintained by a subsidy or subsidies
Origin: Classical Latin subsidiarius ; from subsidium: see subsidy
- subsidiarily adverb
subsidiary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Serving to assist or supplement; auxiliary.
- Secondary in importance; subordinate.
- Of, relating to, or of the nature of a subsidy.
- One that is subsidiary to another.
- A subsidiary company.
- Music A theme subordinate to a main theme or subject.
Origin: Latin subsidiārius, from subsidium, support; see subsidy.
- sub·sidˌi·arˈi·ly adverb
subsidiary - Business Definition
subsidiary - Investment & Finance Definition
A company that is owned by another larger company. A subsidiary is controlled by its parent company.