- The definition of subsidiary is something that gives support, something that is secondary in importance or an organizational group that is in a lower organizational position.
- An example of subsidiary used as an adjective is subsidiary income which means extra income.
- An example of subsidiary used as an adjective is a subsidiary employee, a junior level person.
- An example of a subsidiary is a company that is controlled by another company.
- Subsidiary is defined as something that is secondary or extra.
An example of subsidiary is an extra worksheet for a lesson that focuses on a smaller subject which was covered in the lesson plan for the day.
- giving aid, support, service, etc.; serving to supplement; auxiliary
- being in a secondary or subordinate relationship
- of, constituting, or maintained by a subsidy or subsidies
Origin of subsidiaryClassical Latin subsidiarius ; from subsidium: see subsidy
- a company controlled by another company which owns all or a majority of its sharesin full subsidiary company
- Music a subordinate theme
- Serving to assist or supplement; auxiliary.
- Secondary in importance; subordinate.
- Of, relating to, or of the nature of a subsidy.
- One that is subsidiary to another.
- A subsidiary company.
- Music A theme subordinate to a main theme or subject.
Origin of subsidiaryLatin subsidiarius, from subsidium, support; see subsidy.
(comparative more subsidiary, superlative most subsidiary)
subsidiary - Investment & Finance Definition
A company that is owned by another larger company. A subsidiary is controlled by its parent company.