- An affiliate is defined as a person who is in some way connected to another person or organization.
An example of an affiliate would be a journalist for a newspaper.
- The definition of an affiliate is an arm of an organization or a subsidiary.
An example of an affiliate is a local Fox station that is overseen by the larger organization of Fox.
- Affiliate means to connect yourself with someone or something else.
An example of affiliate is when a person joins an organization.
- to take in as a member or branch
- to connect or associate (oneself) with an organization, movement, etc.
- to trace the origins or source of; specif., to determine legally the paternity of
Origin of affiliate; from Medieval Latin affiliatus, past participle of affiliare, to adopt as a son ; from Classical Latin ad-, to + filius, son
verbaf·fil·i·at·ed, af·fil·i·at·ing, af·fil·i·ates
- To adopt or accept as a member, subordinate associate, or branch: The HMO affiliated the clinics last year.
- To associate (oneself) as a subordinate, subsidiary, employee, or member: affiliated herself with a new law firm.
- To assign the origin of.
Origin of affiliateMedieval Latin aff&imacron;liare, to adopt : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin f&imacron;lius, son; see dh&emacron;(i)- in Indo-European roots.
- Someone or something that is affiliated, or associated; a member of a group of associated things.
- The local channel was an affiliate of a national network.
(third-person singular simple present affiliates, present participle affiliating, simple past and past participle affiliated)
- To adopt; to receive into a family as a son; hence, to bring or receive into close connection; to ally.
- To fix the paternity of; — said of an illegitimate child.
- to affiliate the child to (on or upon) one man rather than another
- To connect in the way of descent; to trace origin to.
- (intransitive) To attach (to) or unite (with); to receive into a society as a member, and initiate into its mysteries, plans, etc.; — followed by to or with.
Late Latin adfiliare, affiliare (“to adopt as son”); ad + filius (“son”): compare French affilier.