- The definition of a tribute refers to a statement or actions honoring someone or something.
An example of a tribute is a dinner hosted to honor a person and give him an award.
- a regular payment of money, etc., made by one ruler or nation to another as acknowledgment of subjugation, for protection from invasion, etc.
- a tax levied for this
- under feudalism,
- a tax paid by a vassal to an overlord
- the obligation to make such a payment
- any forced payment or contribution, as through bribery, or the need to make this
- something given, done, or said, as a gift, testimonial, etc., that shows gratitude, respect, honor, or praise
Origin of tributeMiddle English tribut ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin tributum, neuter of tributus, past participle of tribuere, to assign, allot, pay ; from tribus, Roman tribal division: see tribe
- A gift, payment, declaration, or other acknowledgment of gratitude, respect, or admiration: put up a plaque as a tribute to his generosity.
- Evidence attesting to some praiseworthy quality or characteristic: Winning the scholarship was a tribute to her hard work.
- a. A payment in money or other valuables made by one ruler or nation to another in acknowledgment of submission or as the price of protection or security.b. A tax imposed for such payment.
- Any payment exacted for protection.
- a. A payment or tax given by a feudal vassal to an overlord.b. The obligation to make such a payment.
Origin of tributeMiddle English tribut, from Old French, from Latin tribūtum, from neuter past participle of tribuere, to pay, distribute, from tribus, tribe; see tribe.
- An acknowledgment of gratitude, respect or admiration; an accompanying gift.
- Please accept this as a tribute of our thanks.
- A payment made by one nation to another in submission.
- The Ancient Romans made their conquered countries pay tribute.
- Extortion; protection money.
- A payment made by a feudal vassal to his lord.
- (mining) A certain proportion of the mined ore, or of its value, given to the miner as payment.
(third-person singular simple present tributes, present participle tributing, simple past and past participle tributed)
- To pay as tribute.