- Tariff means a tax.
An example of a tariff is a fee for bringing steel into the United States.
- The definition of a tariff is a list of fees charged by a government on goods going in and out of a country.
An example of a tariff is the fees listed at a port.
- To tariff is to set a price of a tax on imports or exports.
An example of tariff is to charge someone to bring in a shipment of imported whiskey.
- a list or system of taxes placed by a government upon exports or, esp., imports
- a tax of this kind, or its rate
- any list or scale of prices, charges, etc.
- ⌂ Informal any bill, charge, fare, etc.
Origin of tariffItalian tariffa ; from Arabic ta?r?f, information, explanation ; from 'arafa, to know, inform
- to make a schedule of tariffs on; set a tariff on
- to fix the price of according to a tariff
- a. A list or system of duties imposed by a government on imported or exported goods.b. A duty or duties so imposed.
- A schedule of prices or fees.
transitive verbtar·iffed, tar·iff·ing, tar·iffs
Origin of tariffItalian tariffa, from Old Italian, from Arabic ta‘r&imacron;f, notification, infinitive of ‘arrafa, to announce, derived stem of ‘arafa, to know; see &ayin;rp in Semitic roots.
(third-person singular simple present tariffs, present participle tariffing, simple past and past participle tariffed)
- to levy a duty on (something)
tariff - Computer Definition
A document that a carrier files with a regulatory authority, describing the services the carrier intends to offer in that domain, the proposed rates and charges, and the proposed obligations, rights, and responsibilities of both the carrier and the customer. The proposal is subject to regulatory review, which generally includes public hearings. See also carrier.
A schedule of rates for common carrier services.
tariff - Investment & Finance Definition
- A federal tax on exports and imports. Tariffs are imposed to protect domestic markets and give an advantage to domestic producers, or for their financial benefit. Money collected from a tariff is called a duty.
- A list of prices for different types of services, such as moving or shipping services.
tariff - Legal Definition
- Term is most frequently used to refer to a customs duty imposed on imported and exported merchandise. See also customs.
- A public document that enumerates the services offered by a public utility or carrier (freight company), along with the rates charged for those services.