- to or from a distant place or places: long-distance telephone calls
- that covers a long distance: a long-distance runner
- An operator or a system that places long-distance telephone calls.
- A long-distance telephone call.
- Covering a long distance: a long-distance runner; operating under long-distance supervision.
- Of, relating to, or being telephone communication to a distant station: a long-distance call.
- Over a great length (e.g. a long-distance runner).
- Referring to a non-local telephone call, a toll call
long distance - Computer Definition
An imprecise rate-and-tariff term that describes a call or circuit that connects two relatively distant parties or systems. A long distance call terminates outside the central office exchange (COE) area, i.e., the serving area of a central office (CO), and outside the municipality. In the United States, an intraLATA long distance call is termed local long distance.