- The definition of affluent is someone who is wealthy with money, property or possessions.
A person who owns a multimillion dollar company and lives in a mansion is an example of an affluent person.
The home of an affluent person.
- flowing freely
- plentiful; abundant
- wealthy; prosperous; rich: the affluent society
Origin of affluentMiddle English ; from Classical Latin affluens, present participle of affluere: see affluence
- a tributary streamopposed to effluent ( specif. )
- an affluent person
- Generously supplied with money, property, or possessions; prosperous or rich. See Synonyms at rich.
- Manifesting or requiring wealth: affluent homes; affluent living.
- Archaic Flowing freely; copious.
- A stream or river that flows into a larger one; a tributary.
- A person who is well-off financially: “the so-called emerging affluents” (Leslie Tweeton).
- (used with a pl. verb) Wealthy people considered as a group. Often used with the.
Origin of affluentMiddle English, abundant, flowing, from Old French, from Latin affluēns, affluent-, present participle of affluere, to abound in : ad-, ad- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more affluent, superlative most affluent)
Middle French affluent, from Latin affluentem, accusative singular of affluēns, present active participle of affluō (“flow to or towards; overflow with”), from ad (“to, towards”) + fluō (“flow”) (cognate via latter to fluid, flow). Sense of “wealthy” (plentiful flow of goods) c. 1600, which also lead to nominalization affluence.