- The definition of affluent is someone who is wealthy with money, property or possessions.
A person who owns a multimillion dollar company and lives in a mansion is an example of an affluent person.
The home of an affluent person.
affluent definition by Webster's New World
- flowing freely
- plentiful; abundant
- wealthy; prosperous; rich: the affluent society
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin affluens, present participle of affluere: see affluence
- a tributary streamopposed to effluent ( specif. )
- an affluent person
- affluently adverb
affluent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Generously supplied with money, property, or possessions; prosperous or rich. See Synonyms at rich.
- Plentiful; abundant.
- Flowing freely; copious.
- A stream or river that flows into a larger one; a tributary.
- A person who is well-off financially: “the so-called emerging affluents” (Leslie Tweeton).
Origin: Middle English, abundant, flowing, from Old French, from Latin affluēns, affluent-, present participle of affluere, to abound in : ad-, ad- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.
- afˈflu·ent·ly adverb