An indigent man.
- Indigent is defined as someone who has little or nothing.
An example of indigent is a homeless person.
- The definition of an indigent is a person who is poor or needy.
An example of an indigent is a single parent who just lost a job.
- in poverty; poor; needy; destitute
- Archaic lacking; destitute (of)
Origin of indigentMiddle English indygent ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin indigens, present participle of indegere, to be in need ; from Old Latin indu (L in), in + egere, to need ; from Indo-European base an unverified form eg-, lack from source Old Norse ekla
- Experiencing want or need; impoverished: distributed food to indigent families.
- Archaic Lacking or deficient.
Origin of indigentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin indigēns, indigent-, present participle of indigēre, to need : indu-, in; see en in Indo-European roots + egēre, to lack.
- A person in need, or in poverty.