- Indigent is defined as someone who has little or nothing.
An example of indigent is a homeless person.
- The definition of an indigent is a person who is poor or needy.
An example of an indigent is a single parent who just lost a job.
An indigent man.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- in poverty; poor; needy; destitute
- Archaic lacking; destitute (of)
Origin: Middle English indygent from Old French from Classical Latin indigens, present participle of indegere, to be inch(es) need from Old Latin indu (L in), inch(es) plush egere, to need from Indo-European base an unverified form eg-, lack from source Old Norse ekla
- indigently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Experiencing want or need; impoverished. See Synonyms at poor.
- Archaic Lacking or deficient.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin indigēns, indigent-, present participle of indigēre, to need : indu-, in; see en in Indo-European roots + egēre, to lack.
- inˈdi·gent·ly adverb