- Indigent is defined as someone who has little or nothing.
An example of indigent is a homeless person.
- The definition of an indigent is a person who is poor or needy.
An example of an indigent is a single parent who just lost a job.
An indigent man.
indigent definition by Webster's New World
- in poverty; poor; needy; destitute
- Archaic lacking; destitute (of)
Origin: Middle English indygent ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin indigens, present participle of indegere, to be in need ; from Old Latin indu (L in), in plush egere, to need ; from Indo-European base an unverified form eg-, lack from source Old Norse ekla
- indigently adverb
indigent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Experiencing want or need; impoverished. See Synonyms at poor.
- Archaic Lacking or deficient.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin indigēns, indigent-, present participle of indigēre, to need : indu-, in; see en in Indo-European roots + egēre, to lack.
- inˈdi·gent·ly adverb