destitute[des′tə to̵̅o̅t′, -tyo̵̅o̅t′]
- The definition of destitute refers to not having the basic necessities of life.
An example of destitute is a homeless person with no money.
A destitute man sleeps on the street.
- not having; being without; lacking (with of): destitute of trees
- lacking the necessities of life; living in complete poverty
- Obsolete abandoned; forsaken
Origin of destituteMiddle English ; from Classical Latin destitutus, past participle of destituere, to forsake, abandon ; from de-, down, away + statuere, to set, place: see statute
- Lacking resources or the means of subsistence; completely impoverished.
- Utterly lacking; devoid: Young recruits destitute of any experience.
Origin of destituteMiddle English, from Latin dēstitūtus, past participle of dēstituere, to abandon : dē-, de- + statuere, to set; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
From Latin dēstitūtus.