- The definition of destitute refers to not having the basic necessities of life.
An example of destitute is a homeless person with no money.
A destitute man sleeps on the street.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- not having; being without; lacking (with of): destitute of trees
- lacking the necessities of life; living in complete poverty
- Obsolete abandoned; forsaken
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin destitutus, past participle of destituere, to forsake, abandon ; from de-, down, away plush statuere, to set, place: see statute
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Utterly lacking; devoid: Young recruits destitute of any experience.
- Lacking resources or the means of subsistence; completely impoverished. See Synonyms at poor.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin dēstitūtus, past participle of dēstituere, to abandon : dē-, de- + statuere, to set; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
- desˈti·tuteˌness noun