- The definition of needy is someone who is poor, or someone who demands a lot of care or attention.
- A person in a state of poverty who needs help getting food and finding a place to live is an example of someone who is needy.
- A child who constantly cries if he doesn't get attention is an example of a needy child.
- Being in need; impoverished; a charity that helped needy immigrants.
- Wanting or needing affection, attention, or reassurance, especially to an excessive degree.
(comparative needier, superlative neediest)
- ("desiring constant affirmation): confident
From Middle English nedy, nedi (“necessitous”), from Old English nēdiġ, *nīediġ ("of need, obligated, compelled"; found in the derivative nīediġnes (“obligation”)), from Proto-Germanic *naudigaz (“of need, forced, compelled”), equivalent to need + -y. Cognate with Scots nedy, neidy (“needy, necessitous, impoverished”), Dutch nodig (“necessary”), Middle Low German nōdich (“necessary, urgent, by requirement”), German nötig (“necessary, needful”), Danish nødig (“necessary”), Swedish nödig (“necessary”), Icelandic nauðugur (“constrained”).