- The definition of needy is someone who is poor, or someone who demands a lot of care or attention.
- A person in a state of poverty who needs help getting food and finding a place to live is an example of someone who is needy.
- A child who constantly cries if he doesn't get attention is an example of a needy child.
- Being in need; impoverished; a charity that helped needy immigrants.
- Wanting or needing affection, attention, or reassurance, especially to an excessive degree.
(comparative needier, superlative neediest)
From Middle English nedy, nedi (“necessitous"), from Old English nÄ“diÄ¡, *nÄ«ediÄ¡ ("of need, obligated, compelled"; found in the derivative nÄ«ediÄ¡nes (“obligation")), from Proto-Germanic *naudigaz (“of need, forced, compelled"), equivalent to need +"Ž -y. Cognate with Scots nedy, neidy (“needy, necessitous, impoverished"), Dutch nodig (“necessary"), Middle Low German nÅdich (“necessary, urgent, by requirement"), German nÃ¶tig (“necessary, needful"), Danish nÃ¸dig (“necessary"), Swedish nÃ¶dig (“necessary"), Icelandic nauÃ°ugur (“constrained").