- The definition of needy is someone who is poor, or someone who demands a lot of care or attention.
- A person in a state of poverty who needs help getting food and finding a place to live is an example of someone who is needy.
- A child who constantly cries if he doesn't get attention is an example of a needy child.
- Being in need; impoverished; a charity that helped needy immigrants.
- Wanting or needing affection, attention, or reassurance, especially to an excessive degree.
(comparative needier, superlative neediest)
From Middle English nedy, nedi (â€œnecessitousâ€), from Old English nÄ“diÄ¡, *nÄ«ediÄ¡ ("of need, obligated, compelled"; found in the derivative nÄ«ediÄ¡nes (â€œobligationâ€)), from Proto-Germanic *naudigaz (â€œof need, forced, compelledâ€), equivalent to need +â€Ž -y. Cognate with Scots nedy, neidy (â€œneedy, necessitous, impoverishedâ€), Dutch nodig (â€œnecessaryâ€), Middle Low German nÅdich (â€œnecessary, urgent, by requirementâ€), German nÃ¶tig (â€œnecessary, needfulâ€), Danish nÃ¸dig (â€œnecessaryâ€), Swedish nÃ¶dig (â€œnecessaryâ€), Icelandic nauÃ°ugur (â€œconstrainedâ€).