Medicare is defined as a federal health program that pays for some of the medical and hospital expenses of people over 65 years of age using Social Security funds.
An example of Medicare is the health program that will pay the hospital bill of a retired person.
[alsom-] a national health program through which certain medical and hospital expenses of the aged and the needy are paid for from federal, mostly social security, funds
Origin of Medicaremedi(cal) + care
A program under the US Social Security Administration that reimburses hospitals and physicians for medical care provided to qualifying people over 65 years old.
Origin of Medicaremedi(cal) care
- (Canada) The Canadian national health care system
- (US) The system of government subsidies for health care for the elderly and disabled.
- My mom started getting Medicare last week.
- (Australia) The publicly funded universal health care system, operated by the government authority Medicare Australia. [From 1984.]
- (Canada) Alternative spelling of medicare.