- The definition of elderly is someone who is old.
An example of elderly is a man in his 80s.
- Elderly is defined as a general group of older people.
An example of the elderly is the group of residents in a home for older people.
An elderly woman in a wheelchair.
elderly definition by Webster's New World
- somewhat old; past middle age; approaching old age
- quite old; already in old age; aged
- not current; outmoded
- elderliness noun
elderly definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Being past middle age and approaching old age; rather old. See Usage Note at old.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of older persons or life in later years.
- pl. eld·er·lies An elderly person.
- pl. elderly (used with a pl. verb) Older people considered as a group. Often used with the: special recreational programs for the elderly.
- elˈder·li·ness noun
elderly - Phrases/Idioms