- An example of medical used as an adjective is the phrase a "medical tool" which means a tool used by doctors and nurses.
- An example of medical used as an adjective is the phrase a "medical emergency" which means an emergency that requires a doctor's attention.
The definition of medical is relating to medicine.
of or connected with medicine or the practice or study of medicine
Origin of medicalFrench médical from Late Latin medicalis from Classical Latin medicus, physician from Indo-European base an unverified form med- (akin to an unverified form m?-: see measure), to measure, consider, wise counselor, doctor from source Old English metan, to measure
- Of or relating to the study or practice of medicine.
- Requiring treatment by medicine.
Origin of medicalMedieval Latin medicālis from Latin medicus physician from medērī to heal ; see med- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more medical, superlative most medical)
- Of or pertaining to the practice of medicine.
- Do you have any medical experience?
- (informal) A medical examination.
- You'll have to get a medical before you apply for that job.
Coined by Sir Thomas Browne, 1646, based on Latin medicus.