- An example of medical used as an adjective is the phrase a "medical tool" which means a tool used by doctors and nurses.
- An example of medical used as an adjective is the phrase a "medical emergency" which means an emergency that requires a doctor's attention.
The definition of medical is relating to medicine.
of or connected with medicine or the practice or study of medicine
Origin of medicalFrench médical ; from Late Latin medicalis ; from Classical Latin medicus, physician ; from Indo-European base an unverified form med- (akin to an unverified form m?-: see measure), to measure, consider, wise counselor, doctor from source Old English metan, to measure
- Of or relating to the study or practice of medicine.
- Requiring treatment by medicine.
Origin of medicalMedieval Latin medic&amacron;lis, from Latin medicus, physician, from med&emacron;r&imacron;, to heal; see med- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more medical, superlative most medical)
- Of or pertaining to the practice of medicine.
- Do you have any medical experience?
- (informal) A medical examination.
- You'll have to get a medical before you apply for that job.
Coined by Sir Thomas Browne, 1646, based on Latin medicus.