- Therapy is defined as treatment for a physical or mental disorder.
An example of therapy is a course of physical exercises for a walking disability.
A man receives physical therapy.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the treatment of disease or of any physical or mental disorder by medical or physical means, usually excluding surgery: often used in compounds [hydrotherapy]
Origin: ModL therapia from Glassical Greek therapeia from therapeuein, to nurse, cure
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. ther·a·pies
- Treatment of illness or disability.
- Healing power or quality: the therapy of fresh air and sun.
Origin: New Latin therapia, from Greek therapeia, from therapeuein, to treat medically; see therapeutic.
therapy - Cultural Definition
Treatment intended to cure or alleviate an illness or injury, whether physical or mental.
therapy - Medical Definition
- The treatment of illness or disability.
- A healing power or quality.