- Injury is defined as harm to a person or thing.
- An example of an injury is breaking your leg in a soccer game.
- An example of an injury is hurting someone’s reputation.
This person has an injury to their hand.
injury definition by Webster's New World
- physical harm or damage to a person, property, etc.
- an injurious act; specif.,
- an offense against a person's feelings, dignity, etc.
- loss in value inflicted on a business, reputation, etc.
- a violation of rights; wrong
- Obsolete an insult
Origin: Middle English iniurie ; from Classical Latin injuria ; from injurius, wrongful, unjust ; from in-, not plush jus (gen. juris), right, justice: see just
injury definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. in·ju·ries
- Damage or harm done to or suffered by a person or thing: escaped from the accident without injury; a scandal that did considerable injury to the campaign.
- A particular form of hurt, damage, or loss: a leg injury.
- Law Violation of the rights of another party for which legal redress is available. See Synonyms at injustice.
- Obsolete An insult.
Origin: Middle English injurie, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin iniūria, a wrong, injustice, from feminine of iniūrius, unjust : in-, not; see in-1 + iūs, iūr-, law; see yewes- in Indo-European roots.
injury - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also pain.lapidation the process or act of pelting with stones, sometimes as a form of execution. octogild Anglo-Saxon Law. payment for an injury, calculated at eight times its real or estimated value. traumatism 1. any abnormal condition, either pathological or psychological, caused by wound or injury, either physical or psychological. 2. the trauma, wound, or injury itself. —traumatic, adj.
injury - Legal Definition
injury - Medical Definition
- Damage, harm, or loss, as from trauma.
- A particular form of hurt, damage, or loss.