- Effluent is defined as liquid waste products that are discharged.
An example of effluent is sewage dumped into the Mississippi river.
effluent definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin effluens: see effluence
- a stream flowing out of a body of wateropposed to affluent,
- the outflow of a sewer, septic tank, etc.
effluent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Middle English, from Latin effluēns, effluent-, present participle of effluere, to flow out : ex-, ex- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.
effluent - Science Definition
- A stream flowing out of a body of water.
- An outflow or discharge of liquid waste, as from a sewage system, factory, or nuclear plant.