The definition of a virtuoso is a person who is highly skilled at something such as an artistic or creative pursuit.
A world-class violinist is an example of a virtuoso.
nounpl. -·sos or -·si
- a person who has a general or broad interest in the arts and sciences
- a collector or connoisseur of art objects or curios
- a person displaying great technical skill in some fine art, esp. in the performance of music
- Obs. a person learned in the arts or sciences; scholar
Origin of virtuosoIt, skilled, learned from Late Latin virtuosus: see virtuous
of or like that of a virtuoso
nounpl. vir·tu·o·sos, or vir·tu·o·si
- A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style.
- A person with masterly skill or technique in the arts.
- Archaic A person with a strong interest in the fine arts, especially in antiquities.
- Obsolete A very learned person.
Exhibiting the ability, technique, or personal style of a virtuoso: a virtuoso performance.
Origin of virtuosoItalian skilled, of great worth, virtuoso from Late Latin virtuōsus virtuous from Latin virtūs excellence ; see virtue .
(plural virtuosos or virtuosi)
(comparative more virtuoso, superlative most virtuoso)
- Exhibiting the ability of a virtuoso