Rookie is slang for someone who is new at something.
A new cadet who has just joined the police force is an example of a rookie.
- Slang an inexperienced recruit in the army or on a police force
- ⌂ Sports a first-year or first-time player in a particular league, event, etc.
- Informal any beginner or novice
Origin of rookiealtered ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps recruit
- Slang a. An untrained or inexperienced recruit, as in the army or police.b. An inexperienced person; a novice.
- Sports A first-year player, especially in a professional sport.
Origin of rookiePerhaps alteration of recruit.
- An inexperienced recruit, especially in the police or armed forces.
- A novice.
- An athlete either new to the sport or to a team or in his first year of professional competition, especially said of baseball, basketball, hockey and American football players.
- (UK) A type of firecracker, used by farmers to scare rooks.
- non-professional; amateur
- The game was going well until I made that rookie mistake.