- Neophyte is a beginner, a recent convert to something and not yet very familiar with it.
An example of a neophyte is someone who just joined a religious order.
- a new convert
- one just beginning a new kind of life, work, etc.; beginner; novice
Origin: LL(Ec) neophytus from Glassical Greek neophytos, newly planted (in 1 Timothy (Bible) 3:6, a new convert) from neos, new plush phytos from phyein, to produce, grow: see bondage
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A recent convert to a belief; a proselyte.
- A beginner or novice: a neophyte at politics.
- a. Roman Catholic Church A newly ordained priest.b. A novice of a religious order or congregation.
Origin: Middle English, from Late Latin neophytus, from Greek neophutos : neo-, neo- + -phutos, planted (from phuein, to bring forth; see bheuə- in Indo-European roots).