- Someone who is a first-year student in high school or college is an example of a freshman.
- Someone who is in their first year as a member of Congress is an example of a freshman.
The definition of a freshman is a newcomer in their first year of something they will be doing for several years.
- a beginner; novice
- a student in the first year of college or the ninth grade in high school
- ⌂ a person in the first year, term, etc. of some enterprise: a freshman in Congress
Origin of freshmanfresh + man
of, for, or having to do with a freshman or freshmen
- A student in the first-year class of a high school, college, or university. See Usage Note at chairman.
- A beginner; a novice.
- (US) A person of either sex entering the first year of an institution, especially a high school (ninth grade), a university, or legislative body.
- At the time I was a wide-eyed freshman, but I was soon to grow jaded and cynical.