- The definition of a freshman is a newcomer in their first year of something they will be doing for several years.
- Someone who is a first-year student in high school or college is an example of a freshman.
- Someone who is in their first year as a member of Congress is an example of a freshman.
freshman definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. freshmen
- a beginner; novice
- a student in the first year of college or the ninth grade in high school
- ☆ a person in the first year, term, etc. of some enterprise: a freshman in Congress
Origin: fresh plush man
of, for, or having to do with a freshman or freshmen
freshman definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A student in the first-year class of a high school, college, or university.
- A beginner; a novice. See Usage Note at man.