An example of a piker is a person who will only buy the cheapest of everything.
Origin of pikerorigin, originally , probably one from Pike County, Missouri, then applied to Missourians generally: reason for later uses obscureSlang a person who does things in a petty or niggardly way; esp. one who gambles or speculates in an overly cautious way
- A cautious gambler.
- A person regarded as petty or stingy.
Origin of pikerPossibly from Piker, a poor migrant to California, after Pike, County in eastern Missouri.
- (military, historical) A soldier armed with a pike, a pikeman.
- One who bets or gambles only with small amounts of money.
- A stingy person; a cheapskate.
- An amateur.
- (Australia, New Zealand, slang) One who refuses to go out with friends, or leaves a party early.
- Mate, don't be a piker! Come to Angie"²s birthday party tonight!
- (Australia, New Zealand, slang) One who pikes (quits or backs out of a promise).
- (US, dated) A male freshman at Cornell University.
From pike +"Ž -er.