a person or thing that starts; specif.,
- the first in a series
- a person or animal that starts in a race or game
- a person who gives the signal to start, as in a race
- a person who supervises the departure of commercial trucks, buses, etc.
- any of various devices for initiating motion in an internal-combustion engine; specif., an electric motor briefly activated by the ignition switch and powered by the battery to turn the flywheel
- a device within a fluorescent lamp or other discharge lamp, for initiating high voltage across the electrodes
- a pure culture used to start fermentation of cream, etc.
- the first course of a meal; appetizer
- ⌂ Baseball a pitcher who starts a game
Informal to begin with
- One that starts.
- An attachment for starting an internal-combustion engine without hand cranking. Also called self-starter.
- A device that initiates a flow of high voltage across the electrodes of a fluorescent lamp.
- Sports a. One who signals the start of a race.b. A participant that starts in a game or race.
- Baseball a. The first pitcher for a team in a game.b. A pitcher who regularly begins games for a team.
- The first in a series, especially the first course of a meal; an appetizer.
- Someone who starts something.
- a starter on a journey
- The person who starts a race by firing a gun or waving a flag
- (baseball) A starting pitcher.
- Something that starts something.
- The first course of a meal, consisting of a small, usually savoury, dish.
- (sports) A player in the starting lineup
- A dog that rouses game.
start +"Ž -er