- Fledgling is defined as a young bird, organization, person or other entity that is just beginning or just forming.
A company that has just opened its doors and gone into business is an example of a fledgling.
- a young bird just fledged
- a young, inexperienced person
Also Chiefly Brit.fledgeling
- A young bird that has recently acquired its flight feathers.
- A young or inexperienced person.
New and untried or inexperienced: a fledgling enterprise.
From fledge 'prepare for flying' + diminutive suffix -ling