- Fledgling is defined as a young bird, organization, person or other entity that is just beginning or just forming.
A company that has just opened its doors and gone into business is an example of a fledgling.
fledgling definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a young bird just fledged
- a young, inexperienced person
Also Chiefly Brit.fledgeling
fledgling definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A young bird that has recently acquired its flight feathers.
- A young or inexperienced person.
New and untried or inexperienced: a fledgling enterprise.
fledgling - Science Definition
A young bird that has just grown the feathers needed to fly and is capable of surviving outside the nest.