The definition of a novice is a beginner, or a person at the start of something.
An example of a novice is a student teacher.
- a person on probation in a religious group or order before taking vows; neophyte
- a person new to a particular occupation, activity, etc.; apprentice; beginner; tyro
Origin of noviceMiddle English novis from Old French novice from Classical Latin novicius, new, fresh from novus, new
- A person new to a field or activity; a beginner.
- A person who has entered a religious order but has not yet taken final vows. Also called novitiate .
Origin of noviceMiddle English from Old French from Medieval Latin novīcius from Latin recently entered into a condition from Latin novus new ; see newo- in Indo-European roots.
- A beginner; one who is not very familiar or experienced in a particular subject. [from 14th c.]
- I'm only a novice at coding, and my programs frequently have bugs that more experienced programmers wouldn't make.
- (religion) A new member of a religious order accepted on a conditional basis, prior to confirmation. [from 14th c.]