- The definition of a colt is a young male horse or donkey, or an inexperienced young person.
- An example of a colt is a baby horse.
- An example of a colt is a young man who is learning a trade.
A horse with her colt.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a young male horse, donkey, etc.; specif., a thoroughbred four years of age or under or a standardbred three years of age
- a young, inexperienced person
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old English ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European an unverified form gel-d ; from base an unverified form gel-, to form a ball from source claw
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A young male horse.
- A youthful or inexperienced person; a novice.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English.
, Samuel 1814-1862.