The definition of a pistol is a small gun or firearm you can hold in one hand, or is slang for a remarkable person.noun
- A small 9 mm gun is an example of apistol.
- A 100-year old man who loves to tell jokes is an example of a pistol.
- a small firearm made to be held and fired with one hand
- such a firearm in which the chamber is part of the barrel
- Track & Field a similar device used to start a race or to signal the beginning of the gun lap: it makes a loud sound but does not fire a projectile
- ☆ Slang a remarkable or unusual person, esp. one characterized by eccentric or impetuous behavior
Origin: Fr pistole < Ger < Czech pišt'al, pistol, orig., pipe, prob. < pisk, echoic word for a whistling sound
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: French pistole, from German, from Middle High German pischulle, from Czech píšt'ala, pipe, whistle, firearm, from pištěti, to whistle, of imitative origin.