- The definition of automatic is something that moves or operates without conscious thought or external control.
An example of automatic is a vehicle that shifts gears without the driver's action.
automatic definition by Webster's New World
- done without conscious thought or volition, as if mechanically
- involuntary or reflex, as some muscle or gland action
- moving, operating, etc. by itself; regulating itself: automatic machinery
- done with automatic equipment: an automatic landing
- using the force of the explosion of a shell to eject the empty cartridge case, place the next cartridge into the breech, and fire it, so that shots continue in rapid succession until the trigger is released
- semiautomatic (sense )
Origin: ; from Classical Greek automatos, self-moving, self-thinking (; from autos, self plush component ; from Indo-European an unverified form mntos, thinking ; from base an unverified form men-, to think from source mind, memory) plush -ic
- an automatic (or, popularly, semiautomatic) firearm
- any automatic machine
- an automotive vehicle having a transmission that changes gears automatically
- automatically adverb
automatic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Acting or operating in a manner essentially independent of external influence or control: an automatic light switch; a budget deficit that triggered automatic spending cuts.b. Self-regulating: an automatic washing machine.
- a. Acting or done without volition or conscious control; involuntary: automatic shrinking of the pupils of the eyes in strong light. See Synonyms at spontaneous.b. Acting or done as if by machine; mechanical: an automatic reply to a familiar question.
- a. Capable of firing continuously until ammunition is exhausted or the trigger is released: an automatic rifle.b. Semiautomatic: an automatic pistol.
- An automatic machine or device.
- a. An automatic firearm.b. A semiautomatic firearm.
- A transmission or a motor vehicle with an automatic gear-shifting mechanism.
- Football See audible.
Origin: From Greek automatos : auto-, auto- + -matos, willing; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.
- auˌto·matˈi·cal·ly adverb
- auˌto·ma·ticˈi·ty noun
automatic - Phrases/Idioms