- An awkward conversation with your former boss who fired you a year ago is an example of a conversation that would be described as stilted.
- A house on the waterfront that is standing on stilts so it doesn't get washed away when the tide comes in is an example of something that would be described as stilted.
The definition of stilted is artificially or unnaturally formal, or something that is standing on stilts.
- raised or elevated on or as on stilts
- so formal or high-sounding as to seem pompous, unnatural, or old-fashioned: said of writing or speech
- Stiffly or artificially formal; stiff: stilted prose.
- Architecture Having some vertical length between the impost and the beginning of the curve. Used of an arch.
(comparative more stilted, superlative most stilted)